Tuesday, December 5, 2006

You Think the Nuggets Care?

(Boulder-CO) I can understand when news is made that it should be reported, but when a guy who has basically underachieved since day one puts up a stink should anyone care? I pose such a question because of the way that Julius Hodge is not only reacting to his 30-day stint in the D-League, but also in my own reaction to the way that George Karl reacted to Hodge’s reaction. Excuse me, but I think I’m having a reaction!

Hodge played only a few minutes in his debut with the Colorado 14ers and when he was asked about the experience he added this in Brian Forbes’s article in the Denver Post. “It's definitely a blessing just to be able to get out on the court,” said Hodge, who was the first player to leave the locker room Sunday. “It felt good to get out there. It's just a little bit disheartening when you're spoon-fed the idea that going to the D-league is the best thing for you and you come out and play four or five minutes and lose.”

“I'm a player and also a person that is very resilient,” Hodge said. “I'm always going to look at the bright side of every situation and stay positive. I'm just a little upset about not getting out there on the court, but it's still an audition for me.”

This provoked a retort by Nuggets coach George Karl that ran today in that same publication. “The Nuggets' Julius Hodge, not happy with his assignment to the Colorado 14ers of the NBADL, made Karl unhappy by complaining about it after his debut. ‘He's already got a bad attitude,’ Karl said. ‘Complaining and being labeled to have a bad attitude, I don't think he understands it. General managers read that and just go, 'Wow.’”

Then in another publication, Aaron Lopez of the Rocky Mountain News reports today in his article, “It was Hodge's first game at any level since he was shot four times April 8, but he reportedly was not happy about his limited role.”

My reaction is this: When all is said and done with Julius Hodge, and I wish him the best in his recovery and come back, where does he even fit into this team’s roster? The Nuggets already have DerMarr Johnson collecting dust at the end of the bench and apparently Hodge wasn’t much of a threat to replace him before he was shot. He certainly doesn’t replace J.R. Smith or Earl Boykins, so what gives with all the static? My only deduction is that the Nuggets eventually want to use him as trade bait and are a little bit soured because of the attitude display. You have to put what is best for the Nuggets in the forefront of your mind, and that is how I have come to this conclusion after all the reacting has finished.

No comments: