Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Time To Shine For Carmelo

(Boulder-CO) So if there was any doubt who the leader of this USA Basketball team is it was silenced today against Italy. Carmelo Anthony IS the leader of USA Basketball and anyone who was up early enough to catch it knows that to be fact. 4:30 am never looked so good for Nuggets fans or anyone else who enjoys watching Carmelo Anthony.

In a game that saw the USA down by twelve in the third quarter, Carmelo Anthony decided to step his game up for the entire country. Anthony was volcanic as he led the USA in scoring, again, with the USA Basketball single game scoring record of 35 points. ‘Melo also added five rebounds, two assists, and two steals in an instrumental effort that fruited a victory over Italy 94-85.

This new scoring mark eclipsed the old mark of 34 points set by Kenny Anderson in 1990. Now the undefeated USA has locked the top seed and will face a winless Senegal on Thursday. Not overlooking a dangerous Senegal will be paramount for the USA to carry over this momentum to the final eight in this FIBA World Championship.

When asked about his record setting game, Carmelo said, “In the second half, I hit a couple shots. I got it going after I got a tip-in from the free throw line. It really boosted my confidence. I was trying to get one of those the whole tournament. That was kind of the tip-off to get me going. I knew once my outside shot was going that it would open it up for the inside drive and for my other teammates, also.”

Like I said, 4:30 am never looked so good!

No comments: