Thursday, October 11, 2007

NBA 2K8 is Here!

(Boulder-CO) I just received a copy of NBA 2K8 for the PS3 in the mail and let's just say that it was a long night last night. First let me say that the graphics are hot! The PS3 is known for having the best graphics in the biz right now, and NBA 2K8 does not disappoint in this regard. Furthermore, the new foot planting technology makes old games feel like, well, old games. In this new edition to the 2KSports line the players actually move, dribble, and jump much more realistically than before creating a feeling as close to actually playing basketball as I have ever experienced in a video game.

The other aspects of the game that I really liked are all of the subtle details that have been absent in previous releases. From the way coaches get in the way on the sidelines to all the ways different players, in reality and in the game, translate to the game play really add to the excitement. For instance, if you are playing with Carmelo, (And I don't understand why you wouldn't be), try working that jab step from the wing and letting the jumper fly. Just like in real life, the defender usually gets shook back just enough for you to raise up over their outstretched hand and put the rock in the bottom of the net. Then try playing with AI and slashing into the lane before fading back and dropping that little jumper that we have all become so familiar with. The move is so real and the feel is so fluid that I have to hand it to NBA 2K8 in this regard for being very realistic.
And overall there are some typical type bugs that all video games usually have, but they are not annoying enough to detract from the game. For instance, the shorts on the players sometimes look like they are inside out, but the new Slam Dunk mode, the always popular Association mode, graphics, and the online capabilities of this new release are more than enough for me endorse NBA 2k8 with The Nugg Doctor seal of approval. Now if you don't mind, I have a match up with the Jazz that I need to get back to.
Go Nuggets!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEST GAME EVER

Hah, really though -- this game is hot. I took the day off to play it when it came out and haven't looked back since. There are some pretty big glitches (matchup issues, association rotations, etc.), but those will all be addressed in a patch. Too bad you're on PS3, or we'd have to run some online games. I've been killing people with Melo and J.R. -- that jab step (and the explode from the protect ball) are deadly with Melo.

Nugg Doctor said...

Yea, too bad! Although... I'm not adverse to hooking up for a game on a buddy of mine's system. What I am really looking forward to is playing that 2008 EA Sports basketball for my Wii. I would love to try to incorporate my cross over from the hardwood to the digital-wood.

Thanks for reading,

The Nugg Doctor