Tuesday, April 15, 2008

'Melo Apologizes

(Boulder-CO) What's done is done, and concerning Carmelo's recent arrest for suspicion of drunken driving, there is only one thing for an NBA All-Star to do...

Apologize.

Here is Carmelo's entire apology, word-for-word:

"First of all, everybody knows why I’m in front of you guys today -– for the incident that happened early Monday morning. First of all, I’m just here to truly apologize to my fans, the Denver Nuggets organization, my family and my teammates for the distraction this (brought) them. Hopefully, we can put this behind us, I can put this behind me, but most importantly I’m here to just man up to my mistake and just to let you know that I’m truly sorry about what happened and everything that’s going on.

What happened Monday morning was truly and totally unacceptable. But like I said, I just wanted to let you all know that I apologize, once again, to my fans, to my family, to my teammates for the distraction that I have (brought) to this organization, to this city and to myself.

Once again, I want to thank everybody who’s been with me throughout this whole time, this whole situation. At the same time, truly to let you know that I’m really, really apologetic about the situation. I know that this is uncalled for. Right now it’s kind of bad timing, due to the playoffs, due to our team’s success. For this to happen, like I said, it’s totally unacceptable.
Once again, I just want to apologize and let everybody know – let my fans know, let my family know and to let my teammates know -- that I apologize about the situation and that I’m here to man up to my mistake. Once again, thank you and I appreciate it."

Here is also the video of the press conference.
Now it's time for me to weigh in. There is a lot of speculation swirling around right now concerning preferential treatment, LaLa not willing to come and pick Carmelo up, and the "lift" down to the Ritz Carlton (wouldn't he just want to go home?) 'Melo may have received from a Denver police officer after being booked. But, here's the one and only thing that matters: Carmelo got behind the wheel! With so many different transportation options available to a man like Carmelo (a chauffeur, helicopter, jet, teammates, segway, cab, the bus, hitch hiking, or even calling a tow truck to have the 'Benz towed back to the crib) why he would even make a decision as stupid as driving under any sort of influence, legal or illegal, is just that, stupid.
Ultimately, any consequences from this incident that may or not affect the Nuggets' playoff appearance should be made swiftly and sternly by the league or not made at all. So, other than anything else that may stem from the arrest that directly affects the Nuggets. This is the last time this incident is going to get mentioned here. I feel it's a personal matter and I respect that boundary.
Apology accepted.
Next time, 'Melo, call me if you need a lift.

1 comment:

ThaAnswer said...

The part I wonder about is Lala not coming to pick him up?! Women.

Well I am putting this incident behind me, I hope Melo, the team, the fans, the city and everyone else does too. We have to focus on the playoffs. If Mavs lose tonight and we take care of business, we'll have a much better shot against the young Hornets. Let's do the damn thing